The plank exercise is a great way to build endurance in your core: abs, hips, and back. The better your core the better your running form. And if you’re doing the 100Pushups program then planking will come in handy as it is also great for building strength for pushups.
- Lie face down on the floor resting on your forearms with your palms flat on the floor.
- Push off the floor, raising your body up on your toes and resting on the elbows.
- Keep your back flat and in a straight line.
- Tilt your pelvis and contract your abdominals to prevent your butt from sticking up in the air or your hips from sagging towards the ground
- Hold for 10 to 60 seconds, return to the starting position, and repeat for 3-5 reps
Depending on your level of fitness you may only be able to do 10 second reps (believe it or not your goal is 3 reps of 3 minutes). Planking is hard. Stick with it. Before long you’ll be planking like this guy; doing all the crazy planking exercises he does.
Seriously, the next time you have a few moments give planking a try. And when you do, be sure to tell your Twitter friends using the hashtag #plankaday.